Local Heroes (and Villains)
The Ogilvie family
William Ogilvie (1798-1872) brother of John Ogilvie, the lexicographer, was probably just as gifted as his brother but stayed in farming to become farmer at Ternemny. Like his brother he had little formal elementary education other than a quarter at Ordiquhill school, but his love for books seems to have been communicated to his sons who were to have a great impact on Scottish education.
William Ogilvie (1821-1877)
William went to Fordyce parish school, then Marischal College. He taught at Strichen parish school for 10 years then as rector of Milne's Institution in Fochabers for 8 years, then became the first rector of Morrison's Academy in Crieff.
Robert Ogilvie (1833-1899)
Robert went to Rothiemay School, then Aberdeen Grammar School, and
then Marischal College. He took over as rector of Milne's Institution
in Fochabers from his brother and stayed for 8 years, then became one
of HM Inspectors of Schools - rising to become Chief Inspector of
Schools for Scotland.
Alexander Ogilvie (1830-1904)
After going to Fordyce Parish School, Alexander won a bursary to King's College, Aberdeen in 1848. 20 years teaching at Strichen and Monymusk parish schools followed, then in 1872 he was chosen to be headmaster of Robert Gordon's Hospital in Aberdeen, out of fifty four applicants. A first class teacher, he took delight in the achievements of his pupils and introduced science to the school curriculum. When the hospital system was abolished he took on the reorganisation of the institution making it into a leading secondary school.
Carrying on the tradition, his son Francis Ogivie (later Sir Francis)
became Principal of Heriot-Watt College in Edinburgh, and his daughter
Maria's brilliance as a scientist doing original research in geology,
was rewarded with the Honour, Dame of the British Empire.
George Ogilvie (1825-1914)
George was schooled as a bursar in Fordyce Parish School and Aberdeen
Grammar, and then attended Marischal College, gaining a distinction in
mathematics. He taught in Dyce, Dunnottar and Turriff before being
appointed Head and House Governor of Daniel Stewart's Hospital,
Edinburgh in 1856. In 1870 when George Watson's Hospital was renamed
and began to take in day pupils who paid fees, he became the first
headmaster of the reformed George Watson's College. It was completely
reorganised by Dr Ogilvie as to its curriculum, staffing and
management. He was headmaster of George Watson's until1898 and made
the school such a success that the Scottish Education Department used
it as a model for all other secondary schools. His old university
conferred the title of LL.D on him in 1873. From 1879 to 1886 and
again from 1890 until 1901, George Ogilvie lived at 11 Hartington
Place. During the period of 1887 ton 1889, he rented his house to
James Greenhill, Junior, a Commission Merchant. During that time
Doctor Ogilvie lived at 9 Spence Street. He retired to 14 Albyn
Terrace, Aberdeen and died there on 27 June 1914, one day before the
assassination of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary. When
he retired the Governors named a street in Edinburgh after him,
Joseph Ogilvie (1832-1914)
Joseph went to Rothiemay School then for a short while Aberdeen Grammar School, then Marischal College. A classics scholar, after some years at Turriff and Methlick, he became headmaster of Keith parish school. In 1873 he was appointed first rector of Aberdeen Training College and in 1893 he became the first Lecturer in Education at Aberdeen University.